Update: Iran Blames “Foreign Elements” for Attack on Guards
Iran’s Revolutionary Guards accused “foreign elements” linked to the United States of involvement in Sunday’s attack that killed at least two senior commanders of the elite force, state television reported.
“Surely foreign elements, particularly those linked to the global arrogance, were involved in this attack,” a Guards statement quoted by television said. Iran often uses the term “global arrogance” to refer to the United States, its old foe.
Several top commanders in Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guard have been killed in a suicide bombing in the volatile south-east of the country.
Iranian state media say at least 20 people have died in the attack, in the province of Sistan-Baluchistan, and dozens more injured.
The commanders were in the region for a meeting with tribal leaders.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, which was condemned by Iran’s Parliamentary Speaker.
Iran has previously accused a Sunni resistance group, Jundallah, of terrorist activities in the province.
Sistan-Baluchistan is mainly made up of the Baluchi ethnic group who are Sunni Muslims, some of whom oppose Shia rule.
The deputy commander of the Guard’s ground force, General Noor Ali Shooshtari, and the Guard’s chief provincial commander, Rajab Ali Mohammadzadeh, were among the dead, Irna state news agency reported.
Parliamentary speaker Ali Larijani, speaking at an open session of parliament which was broadcast live of state radio, said: “We express our condolences for their martyrdom.
“The intention of the terrorists was definitely to disrupt security in Sistan-Baluchistan Province.”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.